"Jeff Finlay, NYU" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 Jan 1995 20:10:00 -0500
> It sounds to me as if we have some net vigilantes at work!  In my experience,
> moderated lists are as often "leftist" as "totalitaran."  The actnow-l people
> are going to have a hard time "exposing" these evil moderators, since by
> definition said moderators control what appears on their lists!

The guy now running actnow-l, Paul Trummel, is somewhat famous
on the net for his CONTRA CABAL, a very dreary, badly-written and
pseudo-Rabelaisian diatribe which appears (every so often) to have
originated in his rough treatment at the hands of some professors
at RPI. Until recently, most people tolerated his ravings, read the
first few lines and then deleted his missives. However, he has been
claiming lately that he has links with NAS, the National Association
of Scholars, a somewhat right-leaning organization made up of
disappointed Allan Bloom prototypes who appear to think American
campuses are rife with leftist subversives (would they were!). That
might add an interesting twist to his "net vigilante" streak.

Anyway, as a would-be leftist myself (who moderates a, um somewhat
centrist list), I am going to join actnow-l and wreak havoc. And yes,
I'll flame the living shit out of anyone who crosses me!

Jeff Finlay