Natalie Maynor <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 5 Jan 1995 22:03:12 -0600
Back in the old days when it was necessary to get the whole list in
order to edit the headers, I understood the reason that the list was
locked during the process -- since somebody might try to sub or unsub
or change settings or whatever during that time.  But why is the list
locked when just the headers are gotten?  I realize that there's a (nolock
option, of course, but I was trying to figure out what is being protected
by the locking of the list during this time.  It's a problem for me because
for the past four or five months now, mail from uga.cc.uga.edu to ra.msstate.
edu routinely takes four or five hours to arrive.  Mail in the other direction
is fine.  In other words, when I send the 'get' command, it is acted on very
quickly and the list is locked.  Then I sit here for four or five hours
waiting for the requested headers to arrive (except in the very early
mornings or on weekends, when something at UGA changes dramatically --
for the better).  This means that the list is locked for hours, unless
I use the (nolock option, which I guess I should start doing all the time.
Is there any harm in that?
   --Natalie ([log in to unmask])