Mario Rups <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 12:09:35 -0500
Poster:       Perrine Crampton

Ms Crampton, my most sincere thanks for this document.

I shall tell you the way *I* use it: we, the listowners of ARCANA, time
after time have sent out little how-to-use-listserv lessons; we have time
after time told people NOT to send listserv commands to the list.  And I,
for one, am sick and tired of having to scan my own list constantly when
I'm on duty not only to make sure there isn't trouble brewing (we insist
upon civility, you see), but to make sure no one has sent a command to the
list, directly (UNSUB) or indirectly (HOW do I unsub?).  And I'll be damned
if I'm going to perpetuate these user errors by obeying those commands.

SO.  Every time I see listmembers trying to use the list to unsubscribe or
go to digest, especially if it's in a way that makes it clear said
listmembers are simply not bothering to read the documentation (I mean,
we've ALL sent the wrong things to the list, complete with password on
occasion, haven't we?  *sure* we have! <grin>)  (except, of course, for
Eric Thomas, whom we all know to be above such things <even bigger grin>),
I have Temple send them your handy-dandy little file and let *them* figure
it out.

I figure it's good for their souls.

So far, it's worked.

>Note that the reason I didn't include the dababase features becase *I*
>still haven't figured them out so I do not feel qualified to explain
>them to novice Internet users.

Basic searches are a snap -- it's the ones that involve boolean operators
other than the implied "and", and the ones involving senders and exact
search strings, that get interesting.  I've a simple how-to, complete with
template, for basic searches, and send it out whenever there seems a need.

One correction to your otherwise splendid work:

>The command to remove yourself from a list is
>
>    SIGNOFF Listname

I've been bumming around the Net for some five years now (a veritable
greenhorn compared with some, I know), but, far back as I can remember, the
command UNSUB has also worked.

I also suggest to people, sometimes, that they be polite to the nice
listserv and add a second command line saying "thanks" ... (Yes, it works,
those of you who hadn't run across this feature ... it's how I test out
each morning when I'm on duty tp see of listserv and I are on speaking
terms that day.  Just send the command THANKS.)

Mario Rups