Madge McBurney <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 14 Jul 1992 14:45:06 MST
On Tue, 14 Jul 1992 13:04:51 PDT Phillip Sollins said:

Thank you all for writing to me with your suggestions!!

I want to clarify a few points in order to nail down some questions
I still have.  First off, this individual is not an actual member
of my list anymore.  However, my list is open which allows him to
send messages via bit.listserv.christia.  This option is also being
used by many on my list due to high volume (approx 80-100 per day).
Question:  If he's posting from Netnews, will listserv recognize the
individual's id?  I would think a SERVE OFF command would restrict
all mail from that source i.e. Netnews.  It sounds like I have a few
options here besides moderating my list (350+ members-no time).  In
another suggestion from one of you great guys (!) I was advised that
I could change my list definition from SEND=PUBLIC to SEND=PRIVATE.
If I used this option I'd need to add everyone from the news systems
and then set them to nomail, right?  My main concern is to find a way
to handle the worst scenario without limiting other contributors.

>Madge --Just out of curiosity, what do "disrespectful" and "non-Christian"

This individual would call other members names, send posts unrelated
to Christianity, and as I said, would send lengthy posts after repeated
requests to stop.  I don't use censorship except when the topic goes
afield, and I do this only after I have suggested another list where
the topic can be move to.  I have searched within myself to make sure
of my motives, and truly believe that I'm being fair to him.  In fact,
I have not made a decision to ban him forever, but only until I have
assurances from him that his errors in judgement will not be repeated.
I've contacted him privately (today) and explained this very position,
and his replies have been mainly denials, arguments, and name calling.

Thanks again,

Christia co-owner   Bitnet:   ispmom@asuacad
Madge McBurney      Internet: [log in to unmask]