Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 01:18:14 +0100
On Thu, 9 Jan 1997 18:38:33 EST Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Yes, I extracted the list from the RFC and posted it back then. However,
>it seems to me  that LISTSERV should be able to look  up the status code
>in a table and display a reasonable explanation.

But there are a zillion of these codes, and more will be added regularly.
And the  same code can mean  different things in different  contexts. The
mailer reporting the  error is supposed to provide an  error message that
can be  echoed back to  a human reader and  that is more  meaningful than
"5.4.4 Unable  to route"  or "5.4.5 Network  congestion" (no  kidding?) A
mailer that  just says "5.4.4"  with no  further information is  not very
different from a mailer that says "unknown imail error 21". In both cases
you can look up the error code in a semi-standard list of meanings and in
both cases I would delete the subscriber  on the grounds of having a mail
system that sends messages that I don't understand.

  Eric