Tue, 15 Dec 1998 23:51:23 -0600
On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, DMM Morais wrote:
> I agree with the comments below.  Lsoft should update the program by coding
> the Primary Owner (first owner), as the one that approves any changes made
> to the header by other co owner, or at least that sort of flexibilty.  To say rely
> simply on TRUST does'nt cut it.  We need it coded in the program.  This should
> be useful and easy to implement by Lsoft program writers.

I would say trust is the best, when one knows one has a good LISTSERV host
administrator who can and will take care of any attempt at a palace coup.
For my lists we have only two owners, the primary owner and me.  I am
the one who does most of header changes and other such things, which of
course means I can remove the others at will, and vice versa.  Do I do
that, even when highly irritated with the coowner about some trivial item?
Of course not, it would not be "right" and I know Jim could undo what I
did  so what would be the point.  My coowners know they can do the same,
but they won't, regardless of how acrimonious our disputes over details
become.

Not infrequently I am handling everying for all the lists, 5,000 - 6,5000
subscription, as my coowners are away.  I could not do that if my powers
were restricted.   I'm listed as owner and that is what I must be to do
the work.

If you do not think you can trust your proposed coowner with your life,
your reputation, the reputation of your list, etc. just keep looking for
someone who can do the work who can be trusted.

Just as an aside, I see no valid reason for any list to have more than
two owners (by which I mean people, not addresses, got lots of owner
addresses but they all resolve to the two people who are the owners).

Douglas