Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 Jun 1996 22:39:13 EDT
> I kept getting error messages stating that a certain address was
> ambiguous. First, what does this mean? Second, I deleted this user,
> probably a mistake. I immediately received a note from her asking why she
> had been removed from my list. Obviously, the message stating that she
> had been removed got through without error, so there's obviously
> something I'm missing here. Any thoughts?
>
> Bruce

An amiguous address error usually means that they are looking up the
userid in some sort of directory and it matches more than one person.

Some systems lie and say they didn't deliver the mail when they
actually did.

When I delete a user because of bounce messages, I find it useful to
save a copy of a bounce message.  Then, if the user receives the
message that they were deleted and asks why, I can send them a
copy of the bounce message and they can show it to their mail
system administrator.