Shahrukh Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 18:55:46 +0000
Searching for three of my lists (BALLROOM, BALLRM-M, TANGO-L) on
CataList, I was suprised to find that two of them were mis-named and had
incorrect contact information.

Specifically, BALLRM-M and TANGO-L have their List-Id set to BALLROOM-M
and TANGO, respectively, and CataList is using these instead of the real
list name.  In both cases, the List-Id equivalents are the obsolete
names, and the ones I don't want people to use, but are retained for
people who still have the old info.  In the case of Ballroom-M, the
>8-character name was causing problems on VM systems (mail to ballroom-m would go to ballroom) and in the case of tango-L, the domain owners were combining some sub-domains and asked me to change tango to tango-L since tango was "taken" on one of the other sub-domains).

At any rate, CataList should look at the List-Address= header line too
(which I have set to "Listname" in both cases) to make the correct
decision about which name to publicize.  As it stands now, it infers
that ballroom-m-request and tango-request are the contact addresses, and
I don't think that these will even work to reach the owners
(ballrm-m-request and tango-L-request are the correct
addresses--certainly the ones I would want people to use).

Shahrukh
--
Shahrukh Merchant