"M. Rups (lstown-l)" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 May 1996 14:22:00 -0500
>I'm looking for a polite letter explaining to someone that they were set
>to review.  This person has been causing disturbances on the list.  The
>nicest thing that I can think of to say is "at least you weren't banned".

Realize this is rather late -- I'm so far behind on list mail it's pathetic --
but I would go for something along the lines of "Recent messages to the
list from your account have suggested that you are not fully familiar with
the content, tone, and rules of the list.  To avoid further misunderstandings,
I am temporarily setting your account to REVIEW.  All messages you send
hereafter will reach me first, and I shall forward, unedited and unaltered, all
that are relevant and appropriate.  In this way, you will have a chance to
become more comfortable with the list and do not risk inadvertantly
causing problems."

Always do what you can to allow the user to save face -- never say anything
that will clearly be offensive even to one who knows the full situation and
agrees with you, much less to one who sees your response out of context.
Play innocent (not naive).  Be polite.

>TIA

YW.

>Daniel 'hand me a bottle of asprin' Dewey

Mario Rups (handing you a full bottle -- of aspirin, if that's what you want,
     but the label says "Stolichnaya" <grin>)
co-listowner, ARCANA