Marco Hernandez <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 9 Feb 1995 15:29:10 -0500

> > I absolutely agree.  This is the worst type of net-bashing I have seen
> > so far---these people are not pretending to be innocent: they added
> > an 'Approved:' header line so as to get through to every possible
> > news group without the intervention of moderators.
> >
> > I think a severe punishment is in place here.  I think the providers of
> > cyber.sell.com should ban the entire site from the net for a few weeks,
> > so they're forced to take measures against the people who distributed
> > the ad.
>
> I think a class-action suit might be in order.  Perhaps the net could
> sue them for the cost of the disk space taken up by the number of
> spammed copies, times the number of sites on Usenet.  Even if it is
> only a few dollars per site the total amount could be substantial.

Hmm, Nasty things lawsuits..  They then usually lead to countersuits
$$$ spent and in the end only the lawyers really win (But then again
these folks are lawyers :O )   Bleak House ...

The first thing is to really guage how much support there is for this
kind of effort.  Perhaps someone at a University with a Law School
could get a little volunteer time from either students or faculty to
see if there is even the basis to sue .. (Not that that ever stopped
anyone)....  What  exactly was lost ?  After all these resources are
being put up by "entities" for public consumption and that is what
they did (consume ...)

Are we all willing to dig into our pockets ?  Are other folks ...  Can
we get some kind of institutional backing ?  (I use the we here very
loosely ...)

> How do we get something like this started?

A person willing to coordinate and lead -- Keith ? :-)  would be a
start ...

/Marco