Kathy Forer <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 3 May 2007 13:54:27 -0400
On Wed, 2 May 2007 23:06:00 -0600, Ben Parker
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Actually no.  It seems you are posting/replying via the LISTSERV
> WWW interface
> rather than an email client.  A look at the raw message above shows
> that it is
> in fact QP encoded.  So QP has not been gotten rid of or turned
> off.  It's
> just that it is handled correctly, with the proper message header
> lines so
> that nearly all mail clients can display it correctly.  It's only
> when the
> message gets messed up by a mal-formed reply from a badly designed
> mail client
> or in NOMIME NOHTML DIGEST format that QP is exposed.  This is a
> mail client
> issue, not controllable by LISTSERV.

Actually no, again. The first message I posted with test content came
from my email client.

I pasted 4′33″ (that's 4&prime;33&Prime; or 4&#x2032;33&#x2033; --
apparently non-ascii, at least BBEdit won't identify them and I see
neither prime characters on the ascii nor extended ascii charts) in
from Firefox and used my Apple mail.app with Text only.

Only the second email exclaiming how nice it is that the LSTOWN list
disregarded or somehow converted (or didn't convert) the characters
was sent from the web interface.

Could it be that Translate needs to be Off? Will that do anything
else unwanted?
 From http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/owner-faq.stm

> 14. Postings to lists using Japanese two-byte character sets are
> mangled
>

> Postings to lists using Japanese (or other Asian) two-byte
> character sets are mangled when they go through LISTSERV.
>
> By default, LISTSERV translates control characters in postings. The
> solution to this problem is to set
>
> * Translate= No
>
> in the list header to stop LISTSERV from doing this.

I am sending again from Mail.app with pasted characters and Text only.