"Mark R. Williamson" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 09:52:36 -0600
At 1:54 AM -0600 3/27/97, Russ wrote:
>Just exactly how long should it take to have the list recognize that a
>user has been deleted or served off anyway? Seems to me that someone I
>deleted yesterday is getting copies of messages I'm approving today. I
>have even stopped and restarted Listserv several times in-between (for
>other reasons).

If you have received the message confirming the command, it should be in
effect. (It should be in effect as soon as the LISTSERV(R) server sends the
confirmation, but that may be harder to detect than your receipt.)
Contrariwise, if you haven't seen evidence that the server has processed
the delete command, you don't know that it has.

Did you issue a DELETE, a SET...NOMAIL, or a SERVE...OFF? The last one
won't prevent mail from being sent to the address; only incoming commands
and messages are affected.

All that said, there are of course other explanations for the phenomenon
you are describing.  If the subscription was in fact deleted, might the
user have resubscribed before you served him/her off?  Might s/he have a
subscription under a different address and be forwarding the mail?

Could the subscriber list have been back-leveled somehow (by restoring the
file or PUTting an old copy)?  Are there other list owners who might have
added the same subscriber you were trying to remove?

Mark R. Williamson