Tue, 28 Nov 2000 23:22:35 -0600
The person who asked the question originally indicated that the text
of both the HTML and plain ASCII would be identical.  Both were wanted
as some subscribers couldn't handle the HTML.  Text identical in both
instances, though.

In other words, the information is in the text, not in HTML decorations.

Granted, you can, *IF* the person has a color monitor, not all people
do, emphasize some things that way, but it does not make it easier to
read, just makes the stuff stick out like a sore thumb (prized by
commercial concerns, loathed by others).  Same goes for bold. Plain
ASCII is so close to being proportional I don't think I could read it
from the monitor if it were more so (of course, that leaves out
proportional bold, but that is ok since we've gotten rid of the bold).

If the information is in the text, it is in the text.  Given that, all
that is needed is plain ACII as *everyone* can use that without problem.
It therefore makes no sense to have one version for those who can use the
HTML version and another for those who can't: ASCII for everyone and
you've no problem.

Douglas