Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:56:50 -0500
On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Russ Hunt wrote:
> Thanks to the list for all the help.  To Douglas for reminding me to
> HOLD the list while the operation was in process, and to everybody

I really apologize for that embarassingly garbled posting: no sleep
for over 48 hours, list business ya know.

I was going to suggest that you could get a fellow listowner with a
system which doesn't choke on large items to do it for you (make the
whomever temporarily an owner and explain exactly you want don) but
didn't as knew I was in no shape to be messing with someone elses
list archives.

Anyway, something I thought of last night, in a situation like this,
where the logs are too large for your system to handle when you need
to edit, why not make the logs smaller, at least temporarily?  Like,
say you have monthly notebooks, just change them to weekly, (if they're
weekly change to daily, daily->hourly).  You can then get the smaller
log, edit, and put it back, then change back to your preferred larger
notebook setup.

For those with more technical knowledge (and I hope more sleep time):
would that work?  Any particular problems?       Douglas