Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:47:01 -0500
Francoise Becker wrote:

> Here's an article about the Google mail service:
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/software/groupware/story/0,10801,91814,00.html
>
> Here's a part that should scare privacy advocates:
>

>>One way Google will pay for the provisioning of the 1GB of storage per
>>user will be by selling advertisements that appear next to e-mail messages
>>and are keyed to the content of each message
>

> Francoise

As a web-based service, G-Mail will undoubtedly use the same technology that
is currently used to place context-sensitive text-only advertisements on the
right side of every page of Google search results. I would be more concerned
about what use Google might try to make of the 1 GB of email in each user's
mailbox, than about on-the-fly placement of text ads.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator