Rich Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 15:41:31 PDT
Since no one else has, I will try to give a better answer than Joe did.

What you can do is look at the last qualifier in the address.  If its
OTHER than "com", "mil", "gov", "org" or "net",  its normally a 2
character country code.  I assume that somewhere on the web is a list
of these codes but I don't know where it is.  A few that I know are:

  ru = Russia
  us = United States
  uk = Great Britan
  ca = Canada

If you see this 2 letter code (and can locate the matching country's
list) the chances are very good that the node is located in that
country.  There are exceptions,  and there is no guarantee that the user
is also located in that country, as the user could be dialed in or
telnetting internationaly.

Most addresses ending in "com", "mil", "gov", "org" or "net" are located
in the USA.  "Com" are businesses, "mil" are US Military sites, "gov"
are national, state, or local government bodies, "org" is usually a
non-profit organization,  and "net" is usually an internet related
site.

Again, there are exceptions, and again there is no guarantee that the
user is also located in that country.  Most of the exceptions are nodes
that were established early,  before the 2 char country codes started or
they are multi-national organizations.

This is to the best of my knowlege.  If I have erred,  I am confident
that someone will be happy to point out my errors.

--
Rich Greenberg    Work:  PM0RMG atsign WSPVM1.worldspan.com   +1 770-563-6656
N6LRT   Marietta, GA, USA   Play: richgr atsign netcom.com    +1 770-321-6507