dennis hickman <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 20:16:32 +0200
I had to send out this message to my list tonight.

Is there any way to more-effectively deal with this Backdoor_nk.svr
virus, or any similar virus that sends itself to the addresses of
mail (possibly only unread mail) in the In-Queue of the victim?

Why wasn't the virus sent to the list address?  (We were ready for
that:  we lowered the max. message size to 180 lines).  Is there
anything we can do (with the LSOFT listserv options) to MAKE a virus
send it to the list address next time, instead of sending off-list
contaminated messages?

Any other ideas for general virus purposes?  (This is a bit
embarrassing, as we started a membership drive just this week, and it
was a new member -- new yesterday -- who brought in the virus.)

Dennis Hickman
CETEFL-L
(Central and Eastern European Teachers of English as a Foreign
Language)

----------
From:   dennis hickman[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Reply To:       CETEFL: The Central and Eastern European Teachers of
English
Sent:   15. eervna 2001 18:10
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        ADM:  Virus warning

There appears to have been a virus sent -- directly to members of
CETEFL-L, rather than through the listerv itself (i.e., an off-list
virus).

open it.  It was sent by his computer, to the posters of messages on
CETEFL-L and contains the Backdoor_nk.svr virus  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<.

He has written to me and told me that his system is now "debugged".

If you still have an earlier message from him, in your in-queue, just
delete it !!!!!

MOre information will come shortly on this.

Dennis Hickman
System Administrator