Tim Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 17:20:17 -0500
Hiho,

We recently moved our Listserv server from the IBM CMS environment to
Solaris.  In the move the *.list files mutated into something other than
plain text.

We have some turnover here, and when someone leaves it is necessary to
find out what lists they own so ownership can be assigned to someone
else.  Under CMS this was a simple textual search of *.list for the
userid.  That doesn't work with the non-text files under UNIX.

So how is this done?  Currently I'm stuck doing a binary "grep" for the
userid, and manually GETing list files with hits and reviewing them in my
mailbox by hand for the departing employee.  This is a pain.  Surely there
is a better way?

Thanks for any wisdom,

Tim Ramsey                          [log in to unmask]
Sr. UNIX System Administrator       (785) 532-3742
Computing and Network Services
Kansas State University