Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 9 Aug 1997 21:29:59 -0600
At 09:24 PM 8/7/1997 +0000, you wrote:
>errrr....now I'm confused--not an unusual state of affairs!
>
>My list is on a VM machine-- utkvm1.utk.edu -- and it is NOT case
>sensitive. At least, it doesn't care whether I send commands to
>[log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask] . Perhaps some are
>case sensitive, and some aren't?

Yes it is.  But it isn't in some areas.  For example, that mainframe
ignores case in user IDs, and is required to ignore it in FQDNs.  VM and
CMS ignore case, afaik, in commands, for example.  But the machine can
certainly preserve it.

Have you ever used RiceMail, or its new incarnation, MailBook?   Or even,
God forbid, PROFS?  All the administrators on this campus used to do so,
and you can be sure they wouldn't have put up with all their mail in upper
case only.  o-)   So the machine handles mixed case just fine, but for good
historical reasons, case is ignored in all sorts of commands, applications,
etc.

cheers

dan

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534