Steve Younker-LISTSERV Maintainer <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Nov 1993 13:25:31 -0500
Hi,

The list in question is AFRICA-N.  This problem just came to my attention
this morning when I was reading LSTOWN-L.  On a hunch I checked the AFRICA-N
archives and bingo there it was.

The list has been suspended for about a week at the request of the list
owner's supervisor.

What the list owner has done is not illegal under Canadian law nor is it
necessarily immoral as it has been suggested.  There is no written policy
at the University of Toronto covering this bahaviour, but the list owner
is being informed that it isn't "cricket", so to speak.  The internet is
becoming more and more commercial every day, inevitably so I suppose, but we
don't have to hurry it along.

I suspect that traffic will resume when the student list owner and his
prof have a little chat.

So until further notice, hold onto your cheque books.  :-)

Steve Younker
Systems Group
University of Toronto