Larry Jewell <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 27 Mar 1992 05:34:12 EST

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I am having a bit of a problem with a person having sent a request for
> campaign funding to my list HISTORY. A number of subscribers told the
> person in question to stop doing so, and so I asked to to refrain from
> further messages of that kind. However, the reaction to this was very
> strong, (words like "censoring", "double standards" and "rascist" were
> used), and the person told me that s/he would send such a request again.
>
> Now my question is: Do BITNET policies and rules allow this kind of
> posting, and how do/would you react in such a case?

I own the WWII list and I had to declare certain topics as being beyond
the scope of the list. Anyone who violates this declaration receives
gradually escalating responses until they are deleted (assuming they
fail to heed the warnings.)  This is the only moderation the list gets,
but the only problem we've had is a LARGE quantity of mail.

I'd say that your case would be similar, a person posting an article which
is outside the charter. Bounce her/him!

> Best regards,
>
> Thomas Zielke
>
> Historisches Seminar
> Universit{t Oldenburg
>
> Postfach 2503
> D-W-2900 Oldenburg

Larry Jewell

#Larry W. Jewell (ex-USN)  JEWELL@PURCCMACE   [log in to unmask]     #
#"Sunday's horoscope is noteworthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly#
#unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." #
#--"Your Horoscope," L.A. Evening Herald Express, Saturday, Dec. 6, 1941.   #