"John W. Redelfs" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 22 Feb 1993 11:55:48 -0900
I think this confidentiality issue is going to have to be eventually solved
if email lists are ever going to really blossom into the widespread
conferencing networks the technology could allow and encourage.

There is just too much that could be effectively done with Listserv and other
mailing list programs to serve people with special needs needs that is not
now being done because there is no privacy.

There are encryption programs in the public domain that would guarantee
privacy for all, but the FBI and other intelligence gathering agencies are
strongly opposing them in Congress because they want to retain their ability
to tap into private conversations ostensibly to fight drug lords, etc.

Seems to me that laws against the use of encryption on the Internet would
run afoul of Constitutional rights to free speech and privacy.

But then, my opinions are often just tentative opinions pending further
data.

Anybody else out there that can shed light on this subject?