Mark London <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 11:20:05 -0500
I'm trying to find documentation which explains how the listserv  manager  can
increase  the  maximum size of the message which can be sent in response to an
search request.  This search request is done when the user has INDEX  set  and
receives  the  list  of  indexes.  The user then forwards that message back to
mailinglistname-SEARCH-REQUEST (with the messages  the  user  wants  to  see).
Note  that  this  is  not  being  done with job commands, i.e. like a database
search, so there is no where for the user to specify a higher limit  (if  that
was possible).  The limit is presently 2000 lines.  The only file that I found
with info that might apply is in the file LISTSERV TIPS.   However,  it  talks
about  the max message that can be sent to the list.  Will this parameter also
affect the search request?  If not, what parameter applies and where can  info
on it be found?  thanks.  Here is the reference which I found:

5.12 Maximum size of a message to a list

If users receive notification that their message was too large to be
sent to a list, you may want to examine the SIZELIM variable to evaluate
whether it is adequate for users on your LISTSERV. In the interests of
network resource economy, you should first evaluate the user's need to
send a large file and suggest sending the file in two parts if sending a
large file is only an occasional requirement.

SIZELIM= (default value taken from LOCAL SYSVARS variable MAILMAXL)
This keyword controls the maximum number of lines for an incoming mail
message to the list. You can raise it above MAILMAXL, but it cannot
exceed the LOCAL SYSVARS variable FILEMAXL. If this is a PEERED LIST,
make sure that you check with the PEERs' POSTMASTERS before changing
this.