Barak Moshe <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 08:30:58 +0200
On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Russ Hunt wrote:
> Strikes me that one of the central problems with attachments, after
> sheer size, is inconsistency: most of them show up in archives as
> screenfuls of gibberish.  I encourage people to put them on websites
> and post the url to the list (and I'll consider putting them on a Web
> site if they don't have access to one).

Most (havn't checked them all :-) attachments look pretty much OK to me on the
archive. A keyword like Attachments=Notebook in the sense that attachments
won't be sent to list members, but rather be archived in the notebook would be
real great! Still, many users don't have a web place to store files, not to
mention that even those who do, would need a double effort (send the message
and store the attachment.) It would be of great help to many list
owners/editors if they can send the message to the list without having to
worry about space consideration (attachments size X number of list members)
AND they will get it automatically on the web!
The message itself without the attachment should be
sent to list members, hence it can tell them to access the archive to see the
relevant file that has been posted there.
I, from a stand point of a Site Listserv administrator find this even more
useful since for space considerations I, too find myself asking list owners
NOT to post attachments (disk space is highly consumed..) but on the other hand
I find a very large number of list owners who just can't/won't put the file in
a separate location.
In short, I think this would be a valuable option. Being an option, those who
don't like it, won't have to use it either :-)
Moshe