Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 18 Oct 1993 01:32:47 +0100
On  Sun, 17  Oct 1993  20:23:45 -0400  Carl Reimann  <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>Eric, I think your sample  disclaimer, admirable though it is, discusses
>the content  of information. Any thoughts  about how I can  disclaim the
>destination, which is beyond my control?

Oh, you  mean for  a public  list? You'd just  say the  list is  open for
anyone to join and you don't  even screen subscribers before adding them.
I doubt anyone will sue you for not having prevented Joe from joining the
list (on what basis?). People are more likely to say that you didn't make
it clear to  Joe that things don't  fall in the public  domain the moment
they are posted to the list.

>PS: Would your disclaimer  in the last post be changed  if the list were
>moderated? If I helped write some messages, in joint projects?

If you moderate the list I guess  you do have control over what is posted
and can't make the photocopier claim. If someone posted child porn to the
list and you forwarded the message  at 5am while trying to remember where
you left  the sugar yesterday, you  might well be in  trouble, especially
over usenet where it reads "Approved-By: your address". When writing some
messages you are  acting as a regular  poster, I guess you  could stick a
couple "unless  specified otherwise". At  any rate  I'm not a  lawyer and
you'll want to make a donation to  their retirement fund and get the full
5 pages if you're really worried about it :-)

  Eric