Vince Sabio <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 5 Oct 1997 11:25:32 -0400
** Sometime around 9:22 -0400 10/5/97, Pete Weiss said:

>|It looks good to me. (?) He claims that the server is not auto-handling
>|the bounce mail.
>
>The "proof is in the pudding" -- auto-delete can only automatically delete
>exact matches of subscribers (not forwarding addresses) when that bounce is
>in RFC821/2 format, and not some funky Mail User Agent format.
>
>Also, sometimes auto-delete has done its dirty work, but the MUA or MTA is
>still returning queued bounces, remembering that the generation of list
>postings, bounces, and auto-delete do not work in synchronous fashion.
>
>NB, if a subscriber manually unsubscribes, the Daily Error Monitor Report
>has no knowledge of this and will still show the userid@node of the
>monitored "subscriber,"

My understanding is that he is *not* receiving the daily reports, and he
is continuing to receive bounces that should be handled by LISTSERV.

Also, I thought that Full-Auto -- which I have never tried, myself --
did not forward ANY bounces to the "errors-to" address. (Now, before
anyone jumps to that keyboard, I'm talking about LISTSERV *forwarding*
errors -- thus, I cannot be referring to bounces that are routed to the
wrong address by misconfigured or poorly-designed MTAs.) Thus, the fact
that LISTSERV is still sending bounces *despite* the Full-Auto setting
is indicative of a problem, no?

Vince Sabio            Boy & His Sabre: <http://www.insane.net/TSC/Vince/>
[log in to unmask]       HumourNet: <http://www.humournet.com/HumourNet/>
                               Stop Internet Spam! <http://www.cauce.org/>

Segmentation Fault: Operating System Not Booted