Gary Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 13:25:13 -0400
Very interesting and helpful responses. I first worked to enter the
commands through the web-interface (no pwd required once I sign in).

1) Unlike GET (which generates an email), my reply from QUERY is
delivered to the webscreen.

2) Unlike GET, it displays email addresses ONLY for subscribers who
provide no name.

3) Unlike GET, QUERY tries to give me ALL my users' information, but
seems to tire out after a few hundred or so (even though the list is
3,400+ members, the QUERY response is only 3771 lines long, quite
short for 11 lines per subscriber).

4) I tried mailing a command to the server:
query occ-env-med-l for *@* split=100k
Adding " split=100k to the command line was needed because otherwise
my GMAIL account "clips" the length of the message.

This only served to confuse the server. It told me I had no list named
"for" or "split". It even told me that there was no list name "*"

5) Changing the originating mailbox seemed to help. Apparently one
problem was that the non-managing mailbox query command only provided
information about that indiv. subscription FROM the querying mailbox.

From the manager's mailbox, the cmd:
query Occ-Env-Med-L for *@*  split=100k

did yield exactly what I want, but the "split" was ignored. I then
tried just 50k... and it made no difference. Still "clipped" before
the end of the list.

6) I can NOT find a definitive, reference manual for the LSoft
interface that lists all flags, options, syntax for all commands, so I
don't even know if "split=" is allowed.  The documentation I find is
instructive, explanatory, but not comprehensive or reference based.

I did see a narrative that allows a categorical wildcard, eg:
Q listname with DIGEST FOR *@* , but even with these sub-categories, I
overflow my gmail buffer.

It does seem that the use of "with Digest" would be a better (well,
more direct) way of sorting your users into categories than the macro
text-management you developed.

So, I (still!) need another way to grab LONG lists of thousands of users.

Thanks,
- Gary

--
Gary N. Greenberg, MD MPH    Sysop / Moderator Occ-Env-Med-L MailList
[log in to unmask]                       http://occhealthnews.net