Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 1 Jan 1995 00:51:48 +0100
On Thu, 29 Dec 1994 03:50:49 -0500 "Jeff Finlay, NYU"
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>Question: is there any way to  delete (put) entire packages all at once?
>It is a pain  in the butt to have to keep revising  the filelist file by
>file.

You can use a generic entry for that. Just add a '>' sign in column 1 and
use a wildcard as filename/type (INFO*  TXT, or whatever). Then you won't
need to  define individual  entries for the  various files  matching that
pattern.

>Question: is there any way listserv will allow me to send it a
>message saying something like
>
>        put filename-1 filetype listname password
>        put filename-2 filetype listname password
>        put filename-3 filetype listname password
>
>(etc), or will it insist I send a separate put message for each file?

It will  want one  message per  file, otherwise you  wouldn't be  able to
store a  file containing a  line starting with  the word PUT.  You should
write a simple program that sends  mail to your favourite LISTSERV with a
single line with the text you indicate, then it will be a lot easier.

>2) I have recently installed TOPICS on my header and am testing it
>out.
>
>Question: is there any  way to define the TOPICS so  that some people on
>the list only will receive certain  messages? In other words, is there a
>way the majority of subscribers can  be set to receive everything EXCEPT
>one particular topic which only a  certain group will receive, in effect
>allowing two conversations to go on simultaneously on the list?

Set everyone to ALL-XXX where XXX is  the topic you want to exclude, then
have people who want another setting change their options accordingly.

  Eric