"s.merchant" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 14:46:00 EDT
>Sorry, but  it's daily.  There may  be exceptions of  course but  I don't
>think that  a feature  that tells  a user  to please  wait 6  days before
>resending would  be very popular.  On the  other hand, telling  people to
>wait until tomorrow should be acceptable. One must also consider the "bad
>surprise" factor. "If I had known, I would never have posted so much!" If
>you're cut off for a few hours, it's no big deal. If you're cut off for a
>week there is a guaranteed flame.

I agree: if there were no warning or prior expectation then 1 week could
be too long. In my case, however, the list rules state a limit for "not
monopolizing the list" of 4 messages per week, and I would then set the
limit at somewhere like 6-8.  If someone deliberately violated that in
the first _1-2_ days, then he would get no sympathy from me for having
to wait 5 days!

I actually had a [voluntary] limit of 1 every 2 days initially but this
proved *really* cumbersome, broke up threads, etc.  People had this
feeling of being micro-paced.  The 4 per week works _much_ better even
though the average is just about the same. But this is a list management
issue and it would be nice if the software provided the flexibility for
at least Daily/Weekly so that the list owners could decide what was best
for their list (the documentation could state the caveats with the
longer intervals, so that your conscience would be clear :-).

Shahrukh