"Paul E. Prusakowski" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 18:22:51 -0500
Thanks! I'll do that and see if I can fix this problem.

What's strange about this problem is that last week a colleague from Germany
called and stated that he was getting an email loop from a message that was
sent through the list.  Nobody else had the problem.  His email address is
listed in the header of this mail that is causing the problems, leading me
to believe that the problem may be related to his node.

I'll do some more sleuthing.

Paul

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Rich Greenberg
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 6:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Loop

On: Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 03:45:27PM -0500,Paul E. Prusakowski Wrote:

} I am having a strange problem with a looping e-mail.  The mail is not
} looping through all the entire list subscription, but just into my box
} apparently.  I have removed the subscriber that generated the original
} message, as well as an individual in Germany whose information showed up
in
} the extended header information.  I am still recieving copies of the
message
} every 5-10 minutes.  I contacted a few other subscribers, and they are not
} getting copies of this message.

Paul,  this is a typical case of a mail item that is "stuck".  Node A
sends it to node B.  One of 3 things is happening:

1) Node B receives it from A but doesn't properly ack it to A.
A thinks it wasn't sent and reques for a later retry while B sends it
on to you.

2) Node B receives it from A but A misses the ack.  A thinks it wasn't
sent and reques for a later retry while B sends it on to you.

3) A gets the ack OK, but fails to delete it from its queue,  so A finds
it again and resends it to B.

You have to look at the full headers of several messages.  Reading from
the last "Received:" header and working up.  they will be identical,
and then will differ (usually in the time).  B is the first one with
different times.

Contact the admins/postmasters of A & B (which may be within your
system).

--
Rich Greenberg   Work:  Rich.Greenberg atsign worldspan.com   +1
770-563-6656