"Pauline M. Marshall" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 15:07:42 +0000
On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Adam Bailey wrote:

> >I know the answer to this one.....this person is trying to subscribe, and
> >so they are getting one error per time they try to subscribe (7 times over
> >7 days)
>
> I could be wrong, but I don't believe this can be possible. If they are
> bouncing confirmation requests, then they wouldn't appear on a particular
> list's Monitoring Report since they're not on it yet. If the list doesn't
> require confirmation, and they're bouncing welcome messages, then they
> would be seen on the list's review.

All I am going by, is that on my list, this only happens once, when people
try to subscribe, and the confirmation comes back, because their mailer's
are messed.  If you send mail to this address it too will bounce.  I found
this out by mailing the sys-admin about one of these bounces.  It turns
out that the person/address in question, was trying to subscribe with
[log in to unmask], but she was still set up (on the server end) as
[log in to unmask]  After the sysadmin got back to me, I mailed the
person with the proper address, and she explained it.  She waited a few
days for her server to be corrected, and subscribed with no problem.

Since then, I just write these off as subscribers with messed mail
programs.

| Pauline M. Marshall    /  /          I-barc mailing list Listowner |
| [log in to unmask]      /  /     [log in to unmask] |
|        I-Barc - Internet Beagle Aficianado Recreation Club         |
| [log in to unmask]          [log in to unmask] |
| http://i-barc.common.net/             Info? send the command: help |