Wed, 18 May 1994 17:22:52 -0700
At  7:59 PM 5/18/94 -0400, Vickie.Banks wrote:
>I've received about 20 messages in the past day from various
>people complaining that [log in to unmask] won't let them
>off (probably because their email addresses have changed from
>BITNET to Internet style).  Apparently the owner is away, so
>writing him/her doesn't help either.  Does anyone have a suggestion
>for these folks, who seem to going into an increasing upset over
>their mutual inability to do anything about stopping their mail.
>[. . . .]

I'm becoming increasingly tempted to start forging signoff messages for
those who can't get it to work for themselves and start annoying the whole
list. I haven't done it yet, though I have sent a note to somebody offering
to do so for her. I've done some tests with my own system, creating dummy
accounts, and I feel confident I can get anybody off any list so long as
the list isn't locked, held, validate=all, etc.

I think that, unless there is general outrage expressed on this list, I'll
start doing that, and send a note to the person for whom I do the
unsubscribing, the list owner, and the postmaster of both systems saying
what I did and why.

I'm going on vacation, myself, this coming week, and I can tell you I'm
very much glad I've got a co-owner who will take care of the list in the
mean time. Those of you who don't have co-owners might wish to ask your
membership for volunteers, as it's a wonderful resource to have.

>-Bill Kish

b&

--
[log in to unmask], Arizona State University School of Music
 net.proselytizing (write for info): Protect your privacy; oppose