Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:55:35 -0500
On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Michael J. Reed wrote:

> I have alot people who work for state and local governments that post to my
> list. I get alot of interesting email addresses. The one thing that I find
> most interesting is that they do not always know their true email address.
> They send out on one address and receive mail on another. My best advice
> would be to check his address when he sends you an email. Even if he can
> receive at another address, the address that he sends from is the one that
> you will need. This is the most common problem that I see.

Thanks, bu tthe subscriber definitely is using the same address for email
that he used when he subscribed to my list. This is the first thing I
check for in situations such as this.

> One other problem that I have seen (only once since I have started as admin)
> is that they are not enabled to send to the list. It will not show up on the
> web interface. Basically what happens is that their address gets blocked by
> the system due to errors or problems with that address. To clear up this
> problem, you have to send a command to the list via the Email prompt. You
> will get an email that says that this person has been "Served Out" or
> something very similar. Now, I hope this syntax is right, send an email
> command to the list that says "Serve -email address here-" If that is not
> exactly right.. it is really close. .... ok I just checked by sending INFO
> REFCARD to my server... that is right.

Your suggestion is interesting, but it turns out not to be the case.
This subscriber is not served out. I just checked that possibility.

Any other suggestions are welcome.