Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 20 Jan 1993 17:43:18 EST
I posted something yesterday that mentioned we require wannabe list-owners to
come to a 3 hour (or so) talk about LISTSERV.  A couple of you have asked
privately what I discuss.  I'll attempt to summarize it on the list, just in
case others are also curious.

First off, there is no fixed in stone outline, since the backgrounds of the
list-owners vary considerably.  For example, in the last talk I gave I didn't
have to spend too much time on general LISTSERV commands since the participants
were already pretty familiar with LISTSERV from the viewpoint of the end-user.
In fact, they had even read much of the LISTSERV documentation beforehand.

I give each person:
1) a brief outline of the talk (see below),
2) a printout of a session showing various LISTSERV commands (e.g. TELL
   LISTSERV REVIEW TEST-L and the response),
3) a list of all header keywords with their format and a one line summary of
   what each does (this is one I put together which is very brief and also
   updated regularly - it serves just to help them remember the format and
   basic function of a keyword)
4) A list of LISTSERV commands (basically a lightly edited refcard)
5) A sample list header
6) Sample error mail; sample "welcome" mail
7) A document we prepared explaining how to store files

Another thing that would be helpful, though I haven't gotten around to it
is a page or two showing an LDBASE session as well as a batch search.

I haven't yet thought of how to incorporate the new features of 17.f into
the talk - it will probably end up stretching to well over 3 hours if I do.
Since 3 hours was already stretching what people could absorb I'll have to
give it a little more thought.

Following is the outline I used for the last talk we gave, should you want
an idea of what was discussed.  Note one of the topics is a LISTSERV 500
disk - that's just a disk we give listowners that has some LISTSERV info on
it, like a copy of the handouts, summary of changes in a new release etc.

One final note - I guess I'm willing to send most of this stuff to you if
you request it, but it will definitely need some polishing and tailoring
for your site.

Bill Gruber
City University of New York Computer Center

-----( outline of last talk given )------

What is LISTSERV?
  A computer program!

What does LISTSERV do?
  Mail distribution  (So what, can't I do that too?)
  File distribution
  File server
  Database (of sorts)

How does it do it?
  How do people interact with LISTSERV... mail, messages
  Always running... "looks" for mail
  How LISTSERV sends mail

OK, I want one, now what?
  Devote some time to it
  Decide on a name
  Prepare header
  Customize mail?
  Sign people up
  Publicize it (NEW-LIST@NDSUVM1)
  Maintain it!
  Some LISTSERV commands
  Storing files on LISTSERV
  LSVPUT exec

Things to watch out for
  What if I go away?   (Time limit and volume limit)
  Rejected mail notices.
  Disk space
  Shadow on netnews
  Bitnet vs Internet