Rich Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:52:26 -0500
On: Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 03:07:48PM -0500,Jan A Bergeron VMD Wrote:

} I know this has been discussed before, but this one has me stumped.  Based
} on past discussions, I have learned to ignore these mystery addresses, and
} most of them usually go away, but as you can see, this one is really
} persistent.
} _______________________________________________________
}
}      Err First Last  Address
}      --- ----- ----- -------
}                 Last error: SMTP; 550 MAILBOX NOT FOUND

This is usually a subscriber who has thier mail forwarded to the
compuspend address, and the cs address is no longer valid.

If you have access to the server logs, I think you can get the correct
address from there, or so I have heard.  Not having such access,  what I
have done is to send a test email to every subscriber except those on
NOMAIL with the subscriber address in the subject such as "Subject: CAVM-L
Test email to whomever@node" and a brief note in the body sayiny that
this is a test to locate a bad list address and please don't reply, just
delete.  Of course, a few lusers will still respond "Its not me", just
ignore them.  Hopefully, you will get a bounce from cs.com with a
subscriber address in the sender, then delete that subscriber.

I don't do this by hand,  I use a macro in my terminal emulator.

Perhaps I should offer this as a service.  What might it be worth?

--
Rich Greenberg   Work:  Rich.Greenberg atsign worldspan.com   +1 770-563-6656
N6LRT   Marietta, GA, USA   Play: richgr atsign panix.com     +1 770-321-6507