Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 Jul 1992 18:01:04 +0200
On Tue, 7 Jul 1992 11:56:34 EDT "Steve Traugott [UUs-L]"
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>
>> Sorry, there is no unix version of LISTSERV.
>
>I'm one  of the people  he heard  the rumor from.  Yes, there is  a Unix
>listserv,  no, it's  not trivial;  the C  source is  about 150k.  No, it
>doesn't do notebooks or file archives.

Sorry to belabour the point, but  I want to avoid misunderstandings. I am
fully aware  of the existence of  a number of unix  list manager packages
and never meant to deny it. I  do stand by my original statement, though.
It is unfortunate  that the people who write such  software call it "unix
listserv"  or "listserv  for unix"  just  because it  manages lists,  and
usually refuse to change the name  when asked (I'm talking about the name
of the package as reported in help files, copyright notices, headers, and
so on, not  the userid it runs  from). I gave up asking.  There have been
long discussions about this on LSTSRV-L,  some day I should fish them out
and post a summary to any list where I see "unix listserv" mentioned.

By the way, I composed this message using my locally developed VM version
of MH. It is based on XEDIT and the syntax has nothing to do with that of
MH, but it does the same thing after all, so I call it MH for VM ;-)

  Eric