Steve Price <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:50:04 -0600
Hi All,

I know this will sound like an all too familiar scenario, but
the previous listserv admin for a friend's company has moved
on to another job.  I've volunteered to help him out in the
interrim.  Of all the things I've done with computers for the
last 15 years or so I've never been on the admin side of listserv,
so I have a couple of newbie, FAQ questions that I'd like to
pass by you that should get me through until I've had a chance
to thoroughly read the docs and muddle through the list archives.

Is the only interface to Listserv via email?  If I have root
on the box in question, isn't there some form of commandline
interface I can use to add myself as one of the list owners and
do other similar admin-like activities?  I know where the files
are that store this information, but it appears to be a binary
format and I'm afraid to just edit the files for fear of the
consequences.  Actually I know better and would never use this
technique except as a last resort after making the appropriate
backups of course. :)

The next pressing issue is the delivery of bounce messages or
error notificiations.  Currently these messages are being sent
back to the sender of the message.  Can I get these messages
to instead be sent to the list owner or better yet /dev/null?
At some point from what I've read so far I need to setup the
auto-delete feature to handle the root of the problem instead
of putting a bandaid over it.  But alas I'm not that advanced
yet, I'm still learning to crawl as a listserv admin.

Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

-steve