Jane-Kerin Moffat <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 19:53:28 -0400
At 7:26 AM -0500 10/15/01, Jane Lyle wrote:
>On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Randy Ryan wrote:
>
>  > The quickstart index seems to be the best place to start,
>  > http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/qs/qs.html.
>  >
>  > Everything after that is a matter of experience, starting to wade through
>  > the listonwers manual, hacking and question asking :)
>
>And using your browser's Find feature to search on key terms.

I suggest using FIND on the  ** ON-LINE MANUAL**  .   One can go
crazy looking for instructions in the  downloadable manuals and
appendices (check out their dates!) only to find the info one needs
was added in later revisions.

What wouldn't I give for a comprehensive  L-SOFT FOR DUMMIES   :>)
and new editions thereof with every new version of the software.  As
a volunteer, I own several small listservs hosted by a major
not-for-profit environmental organization.  I find the manual
daunting -- and incredibly time consuming --  when trying to find
info on a new (to me) procedure or on resolving a problem.  Equally
serious, it is an unfailing deterrent to recruiting volunteer
co-owners who could stand in for me or take over the list when I step
down.

        Jane-Kerin Moffat