Trish Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 4 Jan 1996 21:42:45 -0500
On Fri, 5 Jan 1996, Nicolas Graner wrote:

> One of my RPlist users complained that his posts were rejected for no valid
> reason. His message's From: field matched his subscription address. I asked
> him to post again with a Cc: to rplist-request. I found that:
>
> - he is subscribed as [log in to unmask], so listserv must have seen
> this address in his subscription request

  Yes, at the time the person subscribed, this is likely the case.  As we
all know, this can change, often without much notice, and from minute to
minute with telnet....sigh.  But mail tends to be more stable.

> - the copy of his message that I received at rplist-request also showed From:

  But the message below is not "from: [log in to unmask]" it is
"From: [log in to unmask]"  and in fact, the mail below is very consistent
with what one might expect from Listserv.  Listserv only reads the "From:"
and I know this to be true because I rely on it to delete our subscribers
at other sites when the listowner does not respond or when I know the
listowner has better things to do (Err....Hi Marty).

> How is it possible that two copies of the same message, one sent to rplist and
> the other to rplist-request, show different addresses in their From fields?

  I would like to see a copy of such a mail, because it shouldn't happen
unless a MTA is set up to strip the 3rd domain addr, which would not be
the fault of listserv, but of the MTA that listserv passes mail to be
delivered *anyplace*.  If you would really like to solve this mystery,
I would be willing to invest the time.  In some of these cases here, we
have found the "message-id" to be different, which indicates two separate
mail files, but I suspect this is not the case since the cc: to you is
clearly indicated....which makes me suspect the MTA *someplace*, but
it is not listserv since listserv contains no 'stripping' code at all and
only pays attention to the "From:" and ignores the "From" where the problem
or as you call it "wrong" addr accurs.

Sincerely, Trish
Trish Forrest
Computing services, University of Windsor, Windsor Ontario