Sat, 9 Nov 1996 00:23:12 -0600
On Fri, 8 Nov 1996, W Schipper wrote:
> administrator.  One problem we come across regularly is the differing
> formats for the "From:" line.  Of course the tag itself is standard,
> but the format of what follows is not.  For example, I've seen the
> following (I'll use my own name and address as an example):
>
> From:   William Schipper <[log in to unmask]>
> From:   "William Schipper" <[log in to unmask]>
> From:   (William Schipper) <[log in to unmask]>
> From:   Schipper, William <[log in to unmask]>
> From:   William [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

LISTSERV will take the "name" in whatever format the subcriber gives,
and that is the "name" listserv uses.  As to correcting the "name"
for distribution, Eric knows best about that.  However, things like
Winship, Douglas
<Douglas Winship>
(Douglas winship)
Douglas Winship [log in to unmask]
etc.

really screw up the list as far as sorting by name goes.  I rarely
do that but a co-owner does regularly, so when a new sub comes in
with the wrong format I just change it to one which will sort properly.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L