Natalie Maynor <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 12 Apr 1994 10:47:30 -0500
Since when has LISTSERV become case sensitive?  Because of a minor mix-up,
I added a subscriber to WORDS-L around the same time that he subbed himself.
This was several days ago.  He just sent me a note saying that he was now
on the list twice, with only difference between upper case versus lower
case userid.  I checked, and he was right:

> [log in to unmask]           Bill Sjostrom
> [log in to unmask]           Bill Sjostrom

He asked me to change him (at least one of him) to dualhdr, so I did.
Then I sent the 'query' command and saw that the dualhdr setting was
given only for the lower-case version of him -- the version I used when
I sent the command.  His upper-case version wasn't affected.

> > query words-l for [log in to unmask]
> Distribution options for Bill Sjostrom <[log in to unmask]>,
>  list WORDS-L: Ack= No, Mail= Yes, Files= Yes,
>  Repro= Yes, Header= Dual, Renewal= Yes, Conceal= No

> Distribution options for Bill Sjostrom <[log in to unmask]>,
>  list WORDS-L: Ack= No, Mail= Yes, Files= Yes,
>  Repro= Yes, Header= Short(BSMTP), Renewal= Yes, Conceal= No

But when I went to delete the extra listing, both got deleted.  All is
ok now that I've added him back in one version only, but I'm curious
about all this case sensitivity.  (And I apologize in advance for what
is probably my ignorance of something that's been discussed recently or
is otherwise obvious.  It's been a busy semester.)
   --Natalie ([log in to unmask])