Paul Karagianis <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 00:06:13 -0500
On 13 Jan 2005, at 5:29, Eric Thomas wrote:

>In 14.3, all e-mail addresses are masked in public archives until you log in,
>which obviously spam harvesters cannot do. With this version it is entirely safe
>to have public archives.
>
>  Eric

I'm in total agreement with any and all anti-spam measures, but my main concern
with this latest, uh, aberration is the performance hit because they, whatever
they are doing, are apparently getting individual postings.  As I said, the first
instance of this involved in excess of 30,000 "gets" instead of what could have
been a couple of dozen mailed notebooks.  Tonights loser has been continuing to do
thousands of gets several hours after I cut off their access.  Cutting off the
access limits the performance impact but the mindless resource waste at the other
end is unnerving.  I'm hoping I'm not seeing the first of an army of idiots.

                                                     -Paul