Clark Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 22:21:17 -0700
Dan Frezza asked about the amount of storage space on a Yahoo account.  I
have two Yahoo accounts.  In fact, we run the primary list administration
of our four mailing lists from one of the Yahoo accounts.

Each Yahoo account has 3 MB of storage space.  There is no limit on the
number of messages held for delivery or stored on their server.  Once you
hit 2.3 MB, you start getting a nag warning every time you access the
opening screen.

A 5 KB message is just a drop in the bucket.  I have sent or received
messages in the hundreds of thousands of KB with no problem.  You can
include attachments of up to 500 KB on a message.

I have seen the error message you included.  The problem with your
subscriber is that they have exceeded the 3 MB limit.

I don't think space is going to be a problem with any of the free
accounts.  I'm not sure what Juno's limit is, since the messages don't
stay on their server once you access them.  However, with the
Internet-based services, they range from 2 MB for Hotmail to 4 MB for
MailCity and MailExcite.  I haven't seen a move from any of these services
to limit or cut back on the allowable storage space.

Yahoo.com e-mail addresses have been around since late last year.  They
are a joint venture between Yahoo and Four11.  They basically supplanted
RocketMail, which is also run by Four11.  All new accounts are set up as
Yahoo, rather than RocketMail.

==
Best wishes,

Clark Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Co-Administrator, EEAC Web Site and mailing lists
http://www.eeadopt.org