Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:57:55 -0300
Seems to me the really important issue here is to make it clear that
once the mail is sent, it's gone, it's just mail, and listserv has
nothing to do with it.

So, can you _ever_ be sure your email's been opened?  I don't think
so.  Not if it's coming to me, because I invariably disable the
function that would acknowledge receipt or opening.  I do it in part
because I don't think it's anybody's business whether I received or
opened their mail till I _tell_ them it is, and in part because I
don't want to automagically tell some spammer that this is a live
address.

> Though Eudora has the option, the Eudora recipient can negate it.

I'm appalled that any mailer wouldn't come with it turned off by
default (but not actually surprised).

-- Russ

Russell Hunt
Department of English