Kenneth Udut <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Jul 1995 15:21:24 -0400
> >I've started a folder to document things. They're telling me in email
> >that a *competitor* will start a new list.
>
> Dear Maureen
>
> There is your answer!!  Let him start a new list and take his nasty little
> friends with him!
>
> I have had two major sources of dissension on vwar-l over the past four years.
> In both cases I *encouraged* them (in one case I even made the initial
> suggestion) to start their own lists.  They did so and all has been peaceful
> (touch wood!) on vwar-l ever since.
>
> Or perhaps some responsible person from your list would be willing to start a
> related newsgroup, rather than gatewaying your list.  Two members of vwar-l who
> were fed up with the sandbox aspects of alt.war.vietnam have been doing a
> superb job as moderators of soc.history.war.vietnam.
>
> Good luck--and don't let it get to you!
>
> Lydia Fish
> Listowner [log in to unmask]

The same case happened with Y-RIGHTS.

History:
One of my big things about Y-RIGHTS is that it be understandable by
everyone, whether it's a kid, teen, or adult reading it.  I like a
very personal list, where people speak with their hearts more than
their heads.

Now, there have been some on Y-RIGHTS from the beginning who were
the philosophers.  While I welcomed their presence, at least three
times a year there is a problem where people leave, all starting
when two or three people get into a highly charged debate, while
they are left shaking their heads, "What happened to the list I loved?"

I found out about the existance of a paper magazine called "Taking
Children Seriously".  I encouraged her to get together a new group,
as their needs were not being met (the needs of the philosophers), and
their presence wasn't as welcomed as felt comfortable.

So it works out great!  Their list can get a little 'heavier' with the
academic speaking, and my list can be homey and comfy.

Works out better than I would have suspected!

--
Kenneth Udut                                     [log in to unmask]
LISTOWNER of [log in to unmask] - Personal Experiences of Ministry