Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 08:26:07 -0600
On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 08:53:49 +0200, G ran Larsson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>We have an announcement list with a web interface for subscription. The
>strange thing is that although we have
>
>*Subscription= Open
>
>without the Confirm command, subscribers still get the confirmation
>mail and have to send in an OK to get on the list.

If you are calling the L-Soft supplied CGI with your web interface, then this
confirmation is required by the CGI in spite of the * Subscription= Open and it
cannot be turned off.  If you have your own web interface for signup then I have
no idea.

From another document:

Many LISTSERV admins seem to not want to
"inconvenience" the user by making them do this, however such confirmation has 3
important advantages:

  A.  It tests that the email address the user entered is valid and that it
  will reach the intended subscriber.  You would be amazed at how many
  people cannot seem to get this correct (at least 35%), either entering an
  invalid address or the address of some other person.  Some corporate email
  systems have also been configured to reject list email and this also can
  be tested this way.

  B.  It prevents malicious 3rd parties from subscribing a user to a list
  without that user's consent.

  C.  In these days of 'spam' and unwanted commercial email, confirmation by
  the user is a overt positive act that they agree to and proves they want to
  receive the emails generated by your list(s).