"Jeremy J. Shapiro" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 28 Feb 1992 05:28:12 -0500
>    Is there any (proposed / draft) standard on how to reference items on
 BITNET
>    and Internet lists, and on Usenet Newsgroups?  For the latter, a problem is
>    that archives are automatically purged after some time, while LISTSERVer
>    archives are at least under the listowners' control.  For lack of other
>    information, I have suggested something like:
>
>       N.N. Author (19yy), [Subject line]. Posting of 19yy-mm-dd, hh:mm PST,
 in:
>       list_name logyymm (retrievable with the request SEND list_name LOGyymm
>       from [log in to unmask]).

	The list PACS-L (Public Access Computer Systems), which is
one of the main lists used by librarians, have had long and detailed
discussion of this question, with various proposals of whose
precise status I'm not sure right now.  I suggest that you contact
that list to ask them for the current thinking among librarians.

	jeremy shapiro