Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 12:34:43 -0600
At 12:02 PM 4/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I have recently subscribed to some other lists that do not use the
>listserv program but use either majordomo or listproc.
>
>I have noticed that those programs do not seem to have any way to set
>individual subscription options as we can do in listserv with the set
>command: like mime, review, ack, no ack, etc.

Indeed.  The features available will vary from one to another, and from
version to version.  NONE are as good or as complete as LISTSERV, by a long
ways.  Of course this is similar to comparing word processors,
spreadsheets, mailers, etc, too.

>Am I correct in my thoughts that these other programs are no where
>near as powerful as listserv is?

Yes.

>I think I am correct in saying that the listserv program costs around
>$6,000. How much do these other programs cost?

What listserv will cost will depend on what you're doing with it, on what
platform, etc, etc.  Check the LISTSERV(R) home page at
http://www.lsoft.com/ and if you don't see the answers you need, send them
an email.

Many of the others are free.  And, as is often the case, you get what you
pay for.

>Man, am I glad my main lists are listserv. These others are terrible.

Amen, brother, amen.

cyclops, owner of many listserv lists.

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534