Fred Melssen <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 15 Jan 1993 17:52:16 MET
On Fri, 15 Jan 1993 09:25:00 EST Anthea Tillyer said:
>I am  sure that it  is very hard for  knowledgeable people to  talk about
>computer related matters in a simple  way ...but is it really impossible?
>And if it is that impossible, what hope is there for the future, with new
>users (who  seem tobe getting less  and less local support)  entering the
>fray every day? In this I speak not only of LISTSERV, but of all pc, LAN,
>and network activities.

No, it is not impossible. But as a 'general network user support,
networking-manager and owner of two academic lists' for the social
sciences, I realize very much how biases - to networking; WAN's, LAN's
and pc's - are constructed and confirmed. I gave workshops for very new
users. Support for them is absolutely lacking and people are withold from
the complex network. I am preparing publications for the humanities.
At least I am trying to talk about these matters in 'simple ways'.

I have the idea to write a manual for potential listowners. I see the
need for it at the different faculties at the universities here in the
Netherlands. People are enthusiastic when I tell them about the
facilities and possibilities. But they indeed get frustrated when they
begin to set up something: "What is ftp ... what are FAQ's ... what is
VM/CMS ... (I can proceed for an hour)". LISTSERV TIPS (by Lisa M. Covi)
is indeed a very fine manual (for the beginner and advanced user). It
should also be available at LISTSERV @ BITNIC. Do some of you know of
some publications of this sort for a more general non-technical public?

Elaborating on the other *suggestions*, I like the ideas of an online
workshop for this list.

Yours,

  Fred Melssen

  University of Nijmegen            listowner ETHNOHIS @ nic.SURFnet.nl