Pat Letendre <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:26:19 -0600
My apologies if this problem is resolved in the archives but I have
been unable to find it, despite finding something related from 2000
(see below).

MEDLAB-L has recently had an incredible increase in spam sent to the
listname-request address. Each day I'm getting the error reports
(100s of them) with the subject line " MEDLAB-L: error report from
BUFFALO.EDU" (using v. 1.8e). Each report reads "This is the
qmail-send program at buffalo.edu..." and reports a variation of "the
sender does not have a Yahoo account" or "...Possible forgery or
deactivated due to abuse..." and ending with the standard request@
message: "Your message to [log in to unmask] has
been forwarded to the "list owner"....."

Back in 2000 Francoise wrote (in part) :

Date:         Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:04:08 -0500
From:         Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: SPAM

"....The good news is that the next version of LISTSERV (and perhaps
even the 2000b release of 1.8d?) applies LISTSERV's spam protection
to the listname-request address. So if your LISTSERV site is on the
LISTSERV network, and the spam is caught by the spam-filter, then you
won't get those particular pieces even when sent to the -request address."

If what Francoise wrote then is correct, I'm guessing that spam
protection is not catching spam sent to [log in to unmask] Is this
correct or have I misunderstood something?

Is it possible to identify or somehow differentiate listserv error
messages based on non-confirmed messages (spam) sent to the
listname-request@? At my end, filtering them into a mailbox based on
"Possible forgery" or "the sender does not have" keywords is one way.
Is there a better way to prevent opening each and every error message
based on spam to [log in to unmask] Or from a larger perspective, is
there a way that I can save the site that generously hosts the list
from notifying me that  messages sent to  listname-request@ were
non-confirmed (and by implication, likely spam)?

Thanks for any advice.
Cheers, Pat